Hi.

I already posted this message, getting no answer.
I'm trying again: maybe this time someone will read it
that can provide help.

When I log into my system (Mandrake Linux 9.1) as root,
the following message appears:

Already in UTF8 mode

, and problems arise with some latin characters, such as à, è, ù, etc.,
which are not input, and other various characters,
which are not correctly displayed.
This problem arose after a laborious installation
of 'scim' and 'mule-gbk' packages, along with some system configuring
operations
in order to type and read chinese characters.
Does anybody know how to cancel this UTF8 mode off?

Thanks in advance,
Rodolfo