On Thursday 25 November 2004 00:15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi
> I recently installed Mandrakelinux on a PPC Beige G3 (Mac). When I
> installed it the installer detected the ethernet card and allowed me to
> configure it. The computer is inside a small network behind a router with a
> DSL connection. I gave it a static IP, entered subnet, gateway, and DNS
> servers. However, the computer is now invisible in the network. When it
> boots up I get an error about the localhost saying that the IP has been
> taken by another device or interface. When I do ifconfig, it only shows me
> the loopback interface (lo), nothing else, no eth0 at all.

What static IP did you give it? It shouldn't be 127.0.0.1 and your error
message has the sound of it that you did.

> It's interesting to see that I get another error about USB failing. I have
> no USB in that machine. Can someone tell me what I need to do? I'm familiar
> with FreeBSD, so I'm not such a newbie. Thanks

Well you could just try "ifconfig eth0 static_IP_here up" and see if it get's
loaded ....or what error you get when loading. That way you'll (and we'll)
know whether it's a bad configuration or the hardware.

--
Good luck,
HarM