brian wrote:

> I've just upgraded to Mandrake 10.1 (downloaded via FTP) and while
> everything seemed to go OK on the installation, I notice something strange
> when shutting down. If I use logout | turn off computer, then the PC
> powers down within 5 seconds, and the next time I boot up, I get messages
> that the system appears to have been shiut down uncleanly, and I need to
> check the drives. If I open a terminal window and run a shutdown -h as
> superuser, then everything happens as I was used to under 9.2, i.e. the
> whole process takes about 30-45 seconds, and going this route, I don't get
> any complaints on next boot up.

I have the same symptons, using kde 3.2.3 or 3.3 on a Dell latitude laptop.
I figured Mandrake broke something in kde in mdk 10.0 but I tried Gentoo,
with kde 3.3 and got the same scenario. I haven't solved it yet,
but work around it by booting into runlevel 3, and manually starting X.
doing halt after kde stopped works ok. (I suspect one of the unclean
shutdown also killed my battery, but I'm not sure)

--
/Björn
http://lundin.homelinux.net