On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> Steve suggested: remove the
> "preferred-stack-boundary=2" line from both the files
> /usr/src/linux/Makefile & /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Makefile
> with an editor (eg. pico,or theKDE one, probably eaiser
> to use ) & save... otherwise you will get an error (in
> 13-7mdk , dont know about 13-22mdk)
> Does recompiling increase performance much?
> I don't really need to for anything, but it would be great
> if it increased performance
>
> -Warren

    I recently compiled a kernel just to see how to do it, and
to see if I could get lm_sensors working.  The kernel worked, no
such luck with sensors tho. ;-(  I also tried -29mdk, but couldn't
get it to compile successfully.

   I went thru every option in config and enabled the bare min.
for my hardware.  I've done a lot of benching lately 'cause I
recently changed from a P2-350@467 to a P3-450@567.  My lean and
mean (2.2.13-7tom from -7mdk source) was no quicker at all than any
of several 'ready' made' kernels I've tried.  I also tried a ready
made 2.3.21-3mdk kernel and it was quicker.

   One exception, the ready made 2.2.13-22mdk recognized my cpu
and enabled Katmai (P3) optimizations, so mdesg said. It was the
slowest kernel I've tried.  -7mdk and -28mdk seem to be the best,
but that's prob'ly system dependent (?)  I suspect tho, that a
compiled from source kernel might show more benefit on older,
slower hardware. (?)
  --
..      Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      .