This may not be what you want to hear.

I was able, after much effort, to get my Alacatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem
working under Mandrake 9.2.  When I upgraded to Mandrake 10.0 registered
addition
I was never able to "connect" again, despite a month or so of efforts by
support staff at mandrakeexpert.com.  I finally gave up and recommended
that the Alcatel Speedtouch be listed on the hardware database as "does
not work".

My situation resolved my fortunately when my ISP provider bellsouth.net,
graciously decided to send me a Westell ethernet modem at not charge, because
I was such a good customer - as indeed I have been.  I did have to spend a
few bucks on an ethernet card, but installation of the ethernet card and
the Westell modem is easy as falling off a log.

Perhaps someone on the list will be able to help you install the
Speedtouch - my opinion is that it a piece of junk.

Good Luck!

Kenneth Rhodes
100% MicroSoft Free!

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com