This has probably been answered before, but I can't find it in the
archives, on twiki or on Derek's site.

I have a program which needs to access the sound system for a digital
output. When I try to run it, I get the error messages:

Unable to open the audio device.  /dev/sound/dsp

There is a /dev/sound/dsp and also a /dev/dsp (to which I have tried
changing the setting in the error box).

Starting it in a terminal, gives:

inexact sampling rate: request for 8000 resulted in 48000 Cannot open
audio device /dev/sound/dsp: Invalid argument

I have tried changing
System->Configuration->KDE->Sound->sound System->Hardware
to a custom sampling rate of 8000, but still the same error messages.

Until I upgrade the computer, it is on-board sound, not a sound card.

Any advice, please?

Many thanks

Keith