First, do you have any analog sound at all?
How many users do you have on your box? Issue ls -al in /dev/sound to see who owns the files in that directory. I had quite similar problems with mdk 10.0. After logging into the box, a user own those device files. However, those files are not released. So when the next person logs into the system, those files are still owned by the previous user, and the sound system does not work at all. I have to log in as root and issue chmod 666 * in /dev/sound/ so that other can read and write to those device files. I close the mixer and then restart it. There is sound again. /dev/dsp is a soft link to /dev/sound/dsp.

JT

From: Keith Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] Sound problem.
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:43:26 +0000

This has probably been answered before, but I can't find it in the
archives, on twiki or on Derek's site.

I have a program which needs to access the sound system for a digital
output. When I try to run it, I get the error messages:

Unable to open the audio device.  /dev/sound/dsp

There is a /dev/sound/dsp and also a /dev/dsp (to which I have tried
changing the setting in the error box).

Starting it in a terminal, gives:

inexact sampling rate: request for 8000 resulted in 48000 Cannot open
audio device /dev/sound/dsp: Invalid argument

I have tried changing
System->Configuration->KDE->Sound->sound System->Hardware
to a custom sampling rate of 8000, but still the same error messages.

Until I upgrade the computer, it is on-board sound, not a sound card.

Any advice, please?

Many thanks

Keith