** An update. **

Keith Powell wrote:

I have a program which needs to access the sound system for a digital output. When I try to run it, I get the error messages:

Unable to open the audio device.  /dev/sound/dsp

There is a /dev/sound/dsp and also a /dev/dsp (to which I have tried changing the setting in the error box).

Starting it in a terminal, gives:

inexact sampling rate: request for 8000 resulted in 48000 Cannot open audio device /dev/sound/dsp: Invalid argument

I have tried changing System->Configuration->KDE->Sound->sound System->Hardware
to a custom sampling rate of 8000, but still the same error messages.

Until I upgrade the computer, it is on-board sound, not a sound card.

I spent sometime trying various things, but always the error messages.

So I installed the Libranet distro on a spare hard drive. It's a Debian based distro and I haven't used it for some time.

Running to .deb version of the offending program, gave the same error messages.

In the Libranet Control Centre, I installed and configured "alsa". Tried the program again and it worked without error messages.

Back to Mandrake and I installed everything to do with alsa that I could find. Changed the KDE->sound->system sound->hardware setting from "auto" to "alsa" and tried the program (it's a KDE program) again. Nothing! Just the same error messages.

So I have the program running using alsa in one distro, but not running using alsa in another distro. Very odd.

Incidentally, selecting "custom setting" of the sampling rate in the hardware section of KDE sound settings, kills the sound completely. There are no system sounds.

That's as far as I have got.

Cheers

Keith