I think you could be helped out by a couple network tutorials (or
simply buy a good book about setting up a network). Reading the manual
of your router will help you a lot too...

This is all about IP addresses and Port numbers.
Your router receives the IP address from your Internet Service
Provider (ISP), which is a unique address on the internet. Everything
behind the router (your inTRAnet, or LAN), is using a private IP
range, in your case 10.0.0.0. These addresses, from your LAN, won't be
routed over the internet because you're using addresses that plenty
people have in use and therefore aren't unique anymore.

Anyway, what you have to do to reach your computer, is to find out
which applications on your host you want to use, eg webserver,
ssh-server, samba, print-server, ...
Then you have to look up which PORTS these applications, or services,
are running on.
For example, webservers usually run on port 80, proxy on 8080, ssh on
port 22, etc, etc

Then on your router, you go to your Admin page (which I'm sure you'll
know by heart now ;->) and configure the port-forwarding to your
host..
In other words, when you want to reach your webserver on port 80, you
connect with your browser to your router. The router will see the
incoming traffic on port 80 and knows it has to forward that to your
host on 10.0.0.x.

This is just a simple explanation, and depending on the complexity of
your modem you will have no problem setting this port-forwarding up,
or you'll have great difficulties. However, if you're messing around
with network settings, it's always a good idea to have some basic
knowledge of networking, and keep the manual of your router at hand.
I strongly advise you to download some ebooks (O'Reilley is always
good for experts, networking for dummies might be good for beginners),
tutorials, go to a book shop and get you some books, ...

Success with it :)
Jan