----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Partitioning Question

> I have got a machine with 2 hds a 80 gb and an 160gb. The 80 gb dsk has a
> 20 gb ntfs partition for that other o/s! What I would like to do is set up
> linux (MDK 10.1) on the rest of the 80gb dsk for the user of that pc and
> have the 160gb dsk can be used by all the other machines on the network
> using samba. I want to set the linux machine up as a central file storage
> / print server for all the rest of the networked pc's. I am thinking of
> putting an ide raid card in latter on (after xmass) and adding dsks to the
> shared space as and when I can afford it. Any advice ?

I am not sure why you would want to leave the NTFS partition on a machine
you are running as a server, but it looks workable.  You may want to
create a swap partition on both drives.  This is something I have done in
the past, and it works well for me.

Depending on how you are planing on sharing out files, you may want to
split the second drive into more then one partition.  If each user will be
able to mount their own home directory, you may want to have /home on the
second drive.  If not, and you are not going to allow local logins to the
box, you probably don't need /home to be a seperate partition, as it will
not contain anyting except the default entries anyway.

Depending on the type of files you are sharing, and how you want to share
them, you may want to use the "force user" and "force group" options to
make all the files "owned" by the same user.  You can control who can
write to the disk using the "write list" option.

Another handy trick is if you have a lot of data/program CD's that you
need to access fairly often, is to set aside part of the drive to store
.iso images of the CD's, loopback mount them, and have them be seperate
Samba shares.They look like super-fast CD-ROM drives to the Windows
systems.  The only drawback is that CD's that play audio tracks directly
off the CD do not work well.

Mikkel

----

what do i mount the shared 160gb dsk as /usr ? Will this allow me to samba
share the disk ? The 80 gb is set up :
hda :
19gb               /mount windows (to play C&C Generals !)
5.8gb              /root
1gb                /swp
50gb              /home
hdb :
152gb            /usr - to be used by all the networked pc's

Including the smoothwall box i have a network of  7 pc's tp play with. Only
2 of them are capable of playing generals. All but 2 dual boot linux, the
firwall only has linux on it and an old p100 semans server fished out of a
skip, is set up as an answer phone/fax machine running w98se.