Sorry to ask this, as it's probably in the HW compatiblity lists if I only knew
what to look for.

I would like to use a USB sound system on MDK 10.1. Are these systems built to
a standard, such that "any" USB sound card will work, or does each have it's
own proprietary driver protocols, such that none of them will work?

The one I like the look of is made by Edirol, and can do 24 bit conversion at
up to 48Khz, it also has some funky features that I'm not so worried about if
they can't be made to work.

Is this likely to be workable, or are USB sound systems to freaky to
contemplate?

Cheers,
Simon