Short answer is no since the Word file format is proprietary.
Abiword is another open source solution and offers similarly close
compatibility.  You might find that it does a better (or worse) job for a
particular formatting issue.  KWord doesn't do so well, but for some issues
it might work.
If you're looking for (nearly) perfect compatibilility you have 4 options.
Wine will let you run the native Word binary under Linux, but AFAIK, Word
needs to be already installed in a Windows partition on the same machine.  A
couple of years ago it needed to be on a W95/98 installation, but that may
have been "upgraded".  I suspect it suffers from some of the compatibility
issues that also affect the Codeweavers product and Win4Lin.
Codeweavers Wine ($), will let you install MS Office (and some other Windows)
apps into a fake windows directory within Linux.  It is pretty close to
perfect for Word 97 and Word 2K, but has some minor imperfections w/ XP.
Most of the problems seem to be with documents embedded within other
documents or very table/figure references within documents.  They do provide
good support and you will find that most bugs are at least evaluated by the
staff.
Win4Lin ($) is similar to the Codeweavers product, but you need Windows 98
compatibility.  It requires a specially modified Linux kernel (which is
generally available).
VMWare ($) is a true virtual machine system.  It lets you install an actual
copy of Windows (or any other i386 OS) onto Linux (or vice versa) and then
install MS Word into that version of Windows.  As far as binary
compatibility, this is the best solution, but requires at least 2Gb of free
disk space and is the slowest solution to your problem (you have to boot or
at least unsuspend Windows after you boot Linux), although as virtual
machines go, it is almost as fast as running natively since it doesn't try to
change processor architecture.
All are available for 30day demos.
Bochs is another open source virtual machine, but it once took me 12 hours to
install W98 into a Bochs virtual machine on a Pentium II box.  Perhaps it is
a bit faster now.
HTH
Paul