Things have changed regarding my shutdown problem, but have got even more
confusing.

But first, I have just connected for the first time today, to get my e-mails
and postings. I have found that there is nothing from the list between about
eight o'clock last night (GMT, or UTC) and mid-day today. I have no idea
where any postings between those times have gone to, so if anyone has been
kind enough to send me a reply, I am afraid that it has "gone" :(  I'll look
in the archives to see if I can find the missing postings.

I have been busy trying to sort things.

I have installed several distributions in turn, on my spare hard drive to see
what shutdown problems there are with other distros. There were none with two
of them, so I installed Mandrake10.0 Official.

That gave me the choice of several boots:

Linux (no shutdown problems)
Linux-smp (wouldn't shut down)
linux-nonfb (no shutdown problems)
263-7 (no shutdown problems)
Failsafe and floppy, which I didn't test.

Before, with 10.0, I have only had the choice of Linux, 263-7, failsafe and
floppy.

So, I did a clean installation of 10.1.

That gave me the choice of:

Linux (wouldn't shut down)
Linux-nonfb (wouldn't shut down)
Failsafe and floppy

So, I am back to 10.0 on my spare hard drive to send this, and will use that
unless someone could please give me some advice about the "work-around"
needed with 10.1. Does it still look like hardware problems?

By the way, sorry if I went a bit "over the top" last night, but I was tired
and the information I was given was a real blow. I had only got my new
computer the previous day.

Any help will be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Keith