Carroll Grigsby wrote:

>Maybe we should start filling up the Windows lists and forums with
complaints
>that MS Word keeps screwing up our OO documents.

Simon, Carroll, I perfectly agree with you;
nay, if it depended on me I'd never use Microsoft Word: I'm a TeX user.
The problem is not much when they send you .doc attachments in emails,
because 'kword' manages to read them excellently.
The problem is that they *want*, e.g. curriculums vitae in .doc format,
so if I want in the next future more and more do *without* MS Windows
I need a tool to produce documents with Linux
that MS Word will be able to open and correctly read.
According to Paul Kaplan exhaustive report on the matter,
I'll try Abiword and Wine, hoping they can help because the problem is
really 'serious':
I won't be able to avoid using MS Windows until a solution will I find.

But, please: excuse my ignorance: what are OO documents?

Cheers,
Rodolfo