On Friday 17 December 2004 11:01, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> In two recent messages on this mailing list
> it came out the importance of the linux command 'urpmf'
> to find out what package a certain missing file belongs to:
> when, during an installation, I get a message that complains
> about the absence of a certain file, let's call it my_file,
> all I have to do is type '# urpmf my_file', and the output will tell me
> that my_file belongs to the package, say, my_package. Then I do
> '# urpmi my_package' to install the package.
> So, urpmf is a very important command!
> Once, though, during the installation of cxterm, I got the message:
>
>       /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
>
> . At that time I didn't know the urpmf command,
> so I asked for help in a mailng list,
> and someone suggested me to install the package libncurses-devel,
> and the problem was worked out.
> Now that I know urpmf, I tried with '# urpmf -lncurses': but got no output
> at all.
> How come? Why in this case didn't the urpmf command work?
> How could I then find out by myself what package to install,
> without other people's help?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodolfo

The error messages from ./configure do not always name a specific file and can
sometimes be quite cryptic. So you may have to experiment with different
strings in urpmf to find the correct package. In this case 'urpmf lncurses'
would have found it for you.

It's one of the challenges of compiling from source.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org