On Friday 17 December 2004 04:48, Edward Wijaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem while booting on Mdk 10.1 (GRUB).
> It keeps giving this message whenever I boot:
>

> "Installing Packages..."
> "Please insert CD1.."
>
> When I inserted my CD it can't recognize anyway.
> I need to get rid of this message, so I can
> boot up smoothly.
>
> Status on my "Drakboot" is as follows:
>
> Label:Linux
> Image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk
> Root: dev/hdc6
>
> Where as my *mount* command gives this:
> /dev/hdc6 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> /dev/hdc7 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime)
> /dev/hdc2 on /mnt/windows type ntfs (ro,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
>
> I tried to change the Root: from /dev/hdc6 to /dev/hdc1
> but it gives *kernel panic* message during booting.
> While /dev/hdc2/ is reserved for /mnt/Windows, so I can't use it.
>
> How can I solve this problem?
>
> Thanks so much beforehand. Hope to hear from you again.

In MandrakeControlCentre>System>Services  untick the box to stop the harddrake
service starting at boot. That should stop it asking to install a package at
boot time and will make booting faster. However it will not solve the problem
of the CD not being recognised, and if harddrake thinks it needs to install a
package, then there is probably some component of your system that has not
yet been properly installed.

Once you have booted are you able to install packages from your CDs?

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org