> In two recent messages on this mailing list
> it came out the importance of the linux command 'urpmf'
> to find out what package a certain missing file belongs to:
> when, during an installation, I get a message that complains
> about the absence of a certain file, let's call it my_file,
> all I have to do is type '# urpmf my_file', and the output will tell me
> that my_file belongs to the package, say, my_package. Then I do
> '# urpmi my_package' to install the package.
> So, urpmf is a very important command!
> Once, though, during the installation of cxterm, I got the message:
>
>       /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
>
> . At that time I didn't know the urpmf command,
> so I asked for help in a mailng list,
> and someone suggested me to install the package libncurses-devel,
> and the problem was worked out.
> Now that I know urpmf, I tried with '# urpmf -lncurses': but got no output
> at all.
> How come? Why in this case didn't the urpmf command work?
> How could I then find out by myself what package to install,
> without other people's help?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodolfo

Part of the problem is understanding what you are looking for.  The error
message is actualy saying that it can not find the library ncurses that it
is trying to link (-l) to.  So, if you strip off the -l, and do try
"urpmf ncurses", you will probably have better luck.  Another cluse is
that the error is being reported by the "ld" command.  That also tells you
it is looking for a library.  (Simplified explanation - read one of the
HOWTOs on compiling programs for a more detailed explination...)

Mikkel