I am thinking about buying a new computer and I want to make sure
I get one that is highly Linux compatible. The only dedicated Linux
computers I see for sale are usually failry low end or comparatively
expensive workstations.

This model HP from Best Buy costs about about $650 with 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM, 160GB hard drive and just about everything but the kitchen sink.
Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Desktop with AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 3000+
Model: a706n

A dedicated Linux workstation from LAC computers with an AMD Athlon XP
2600 Processor has 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM and a 120GB drive, a Radion
92000 Graphics Card, ( which I already have )DVD/CD RW and practically nothing else. With
shipping this will cost me close to $1000.00.

In short, to buy a quality dedicated Linux machine, I will have to
pay at about $350.00 dollars more!!! If the HP mass market models
have decent motherboards (chipsets compatible with the Linux 2.6 kernal), the choice is a no brainer as I am just a recreational
computer user who does a little hobby programing.

Does anyone have any experience with the specic HP model mentioned
above, or have any comments about the Linux compatibilty of the HP
mass market computers?

--
Kenneth Rhodes
100% MicroSoft Free