paul wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the specic HP model mentioned
above, or have any comments about the Linux compatibilty of the HP
mass market computers?

I'd imagine that they're fairly low-end because the XP user need higher
spec - saw an email yesterday from a guy who's running linux on a 386
laptop. probably not using a GUI, though.  8-)

Looked at the HP site specs of the Pavilion, and the only thing you
might have a problem with is the modem, apart from that there's nothing
I would worry about.

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

gives compatability on individual items, but not systems.

HP sell business machines & servers with linux installed so it might be
worthwhile emailing their support.

Thanks for the reply, Paul. I think your right - the modem will probably be useless for Linux, but I do have DSL and a Westel modem
I can use. The HP system has 10/100 ethernet. Which is what I have
now. Not sure what that means though. Nead to read up on it.

Thanks again,

--
Kenneth Rhodes
100% MicroSoft Free