Anne Wilson wrote:

Kenneth - I've not really understood clearly. Are you saying this is a message box when Kate fails, or a message that you see in Konsole when you launch Kate from the command line?

Anne

Hi Anne,

It was a message box with the text "Sorry, can't find
mime type application/octet-stream". But I haven't
had the problem since I defined a type - application
- octet-stream in kcontrol - and left the pattern, \
description, and preferred application fields blank,
following a recommendation from the list.

For what its worth, Kate still ran with no discernible
problem after I clicked on the close corner of the message
box. Likewise with KDE although I was presented with
two of the same error message boxes - but once dismissed
there was no problem.

And somewhere along the line here I had another problem
with KDE - the screen would freeze whenever I passed
the cursor over the System/terminal menu selection.

I uninstalled Kate and the requisite dependancies and then
reinstalled everything again. KDE and Kate appeared to be
working flawlessly now.

Also, it appears that my XFCE problem may not have been
a problem at all.  I upgraded to XFCE 4.2rc3, just released
and still found that I had no panel. After studying the
documentation, I used the "run program" from the desktop
menu which appears when the right mouse button is pressed.
This ran the panel. After exiting and re-running XFCE the
panel appeared automatically.

Everything appears to be running up to snuff on my computer
with the exception of BitTorrent - or more precisely,
the Bittorrent Download GUI and frankly, I'm ready to
chill on that for a while. :) A new beta version of
Bittorrent has been posted and when the official version
hits the net, I'll see if I can get it working.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.

--
Kenneth Rhodes
100% MicroSoft Free