On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:04:23 +0100, Martin wrote:

> a first question on Wine -
>
> do i just install the windows programs i want into a folder in eg my home
> directory and then when starting wine in my shell point it there?

If you're using the fake Windows installation, just install your
applications in "drive_c" of your /home/user/.wine directory.

Start wine with or without a terminal. If you want to see messages
(while still getting wine configured and so forth), open a terminal
and type "wine" at the prompt. The log of what's happening as wine
start up and runs will show in the terminal window.

Wine starts in its own separate window. You can set up a desktop
icon to do this. You can also run wine from the launcher on the
start menu by typing "wine" -- no separate terminal will open to
show ongoing wine messages.

Wine assumes it is in "C:" -- so you can usually start your program
by typing [program_name].exe to start an application. Everything
then should be exactly as it is under Windows.

Once you're comfortable with how it works, you can create icons,
links, and so forth to automate things and make it all appear more
Windows-like. The only thing I would caution you about is in
setting up your mime types -- don't allow Linux to automatically
start an application using wine by clicking on a Windows executable.

I like to use XWine (not the same thing as WineX which is the
version of wine fully implementing DirectX for gaming). XWine came
on my Mandrake CDs. It acts as a gui front-end to wine which helps
with all aspects of installing and configuring both wine itself and
Windows applications. I found it particularly useful in configuring
each application as to which dlls had to be native or built-in. The
configuration file it produced was quite informative.

There has also recently been announced a new and improved Winetools
for doing something similar. I've not tried it, so cannot really
comment on how well it works.

> I have been confused about this simple little point to start with!!
>
> will most programs using windows code work or only those "supported" with a
> build of some type? I would like to run my Polar heart arte Monitor, my
> Printer (HP Laserjet 1000) and my digital camera with Wine if possible.

Any equipment or peripheral should be installed in Linux and run
from Linux. Windows apps running from wine will be able to find and
use them. They should be identified in your wine configuration
file. In particular, your printer (definitely) and your digital
camera (likely) should be installed in Linux.

I don't know if Linux will run your heart monitor. Since there are
certain drivers and files connected with devices wine does not
implement (and will not be implementing due to licensing issues),
it is possible that wine will not run the heart monitor (actually
it's likely that it will not).

In general, devices must be run from Linux -- not wine. The Windows
software for the devices can be run from wine (maybe -- depends on
what dlls and so forth it needs), but not the devices themselves.

If you need to run devices that Linux doesn't run, you should
consider VMWare or Win4Lin. They install a virtual machine on your
Linux machine and will run Windows. You need to already own a copy
of Windows and install it in the virtual machine, and then install
your device.

deedee

Registered Linux User #327485
Visit "WordStar & GNU/Linux"
http://www.wordstar2.com
Also, see WordStar Users Group Community
http://www.wordstar2.com/WordStar_Users/index.php