András Keszei wrote:
Sort of hijacking here, but does anyone know if is it possible in any
way to install mandrake on a laptop that has no CD or floppy drive.  I
have a machine that's like this, and it could also help Aron stay with
the wonderful world of mandrake. I have googled, but haven't found
anything where the only bootable device is the one hdd you're installing
to. I have thought of something like the following, but don't have a
clue as to how I could pull it off, or if it's possible at all.

1: take hdd out, partition into 2 (hda ~4G, hdb ~2G)
2: prepare part.1 so it can boot up the laptop 3: copy all install files onto part.2
4: put hdd back into laptop
5: boot from part.1
6: install from partition 2, (can the installation process repartition
part.1 into /, swap, etc, without running into problems?)

anything to point me in the right direction here is a step to getting
rid of my last windows installation.
thanks guys
Andras

It should work. You can not turn the partition with the install files into swap during install, because the formating would wipe out the install files. What I would do is just create partition for the install files, and leave the rest free. Let the installer partition it, with one exception - do not let it create a seperate /home partition. During the install, do not create any users except root. On your first boot, drop to run level 1, and use diskdrake to chane that partition to linux ext3. Have this be your /home partition. Now reboot, and create your users.

The reasion for waiting to create the users is that we don't want any home directories created before we have our /home partition.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!