On Saturday 08 January 2005 12:39 am, JR wrote:
> Greg, thanks. I've just downloaded them and I ran the kde laptop battery
> program. I tried standby, suspend and hibernate. The screen goes to console
> with a message saying that it is performing the appropriate action. But
> then it returns to the desktop.

Couple things

Is your swap partition big enough to handle a suspend operation, for instance,
suspend won't work if you have 512MB memory and 384MB swap.

Some laptops don't really follow the acpi standard, so suspend and stanby
really don't work properly.

cpufreqd is another app that works with acpi to slow down your processor when
it is on battery or idle.

> And the klaptopbattery is not shown in the
> system tray, even though that option is checked in the config for the
> application.

Hmmm. It is working here.  Did you do service acpid start after installing the
new packages?
--
/g