Sometimes, when I'm in an application (doesn't matter which one) I'll
click on a button and the next window that opens will be cropped, i.e.
not all the data inside the window will be visible because a portion of
it is cut off.  I won't have the option to modify the size of the window
or scroll left/right/up/down to view its contents.

Since this happens in more than one application (OpenOffice Writer, Mozilla, etc), I figure it must be due to a system setting somewhere.

I've gone into kcontrol->Look and Feel->Fonts and reduced the font sizes. I've gone into Gnome Control Panel and reduced the font sizes there. I've also tried increasing and decreasing the screen resolution, but to no avail. It appears to only affect the size of the text, not the form elements like buttons, listbox widths, etc.

Is there somewhere else I should make adjustments?  Why wouldn't the
contents of a window scale down to fit the window frame?