On Wednesday 19 January 2005 06:19 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Deep Thinker wrote:
> >  Hello All,
> >
> >  I have a friend that has given me several older machines because she
> >  no longer needs them. For one reason or another these machines will
> >  not work. Either bad hard drives or cracked screens or whatever.
> >
> >  The one machine she gave me that may be of some use is a Compaq
> >  Presario 1275. In her words ...
> >
> >  "My husband used that computer for business. He put a password on it
> >  so if anyone stole it they would be able to use it. I think he put a
> >  password on it so I couldn't see the emails he was writing to his
> >  little hussy girlfriends he had on the side. I didn't need a computer
> >  to tell me he was cheating on me."
> >
> >  TMI, but I got a free computer out of it. Seems she got that along
> >  with the house and other things in the divorce.
> >
> >  Long story short, the machine still has the CMOS or BIOS password on
> >  it. I plan to make it a simple workstation to learn and play on (of
> >  course installing Mandrake on it).
> >
> >  How do I get in?
>
> If it is a BIOS password, they can be cleared a couple of ways. Your
> best bet is to go to the Compaq web site, and download the hardware
> manual for the machine, and find the section on clearing the BIOS
> password. You will probably have to partially disasemble it, and move a
> jumper or jumper two pins for a few seconds to clear it. This will also
> reset the BIOS to factory defaults. (There are programs to clear the
> BIOS password, but they are not much help if you need a password to
> boot...)
>
> You may also have a hard drive password. The only way I have found to
> clear those is to reformat the drive... Not a big deal if you are going
> to install a new OS anyway.
>
> Mikkel
you can always remove the cmos battery and any other powersupply (not
necessarily in that order) and clear the bios password, boot with knoptix and
see what pOrn is on the hard drive....

I did not suggest that anyone ever do that with someone else's computer....

--
linux counter #167806 (http://counter.li.org/)
website="http://ed-tharp.kicks-ass.org";