Andy Yankovich wrote:

Hi guys,

My computer is used only by me. Never by another person.

I have a cable connection that is always on.

1. Is the recommended procedure to turn computers off at least nightly or keep them on all the time?

This is really up to you. I keep mine on all the time (1) because I like to convenience of being able to access the Internet any time, day or night without having to wait for the computer to boot and (2) because I am running my own mail server.

2. Should I install some type of firewall for security reasons? I do not have any secret formula for Coca Cola or things like that on my system, but do have credit card and other financial info,

Yes. Linux is good and secure but it is not completely hacker proof (nothing is).

If yes, what do you recommend?

Start with the firewall that ships with Mandrake and use the Mandrake Control Center to turn it on and configure it.

3. Ditto for anti-virus? If yes, what do you recommend?

Viruses at this point are not a problem for Linux, but if you serve mail to Windows machines or just want to be safe, you can use clamav. You can install it via the mcc.

4. Is the anti-span feature built into KMail sufficient or should I pick a second program. If yes, what do you recommend?

Stick with the kmail anti-spam feature and if you are not satisfied, you can always look for something additional (like spamassassin).

Looking forward to both your answers and *reasons*.

BTW, you may want to turn off the reply-to setting. It is normally not needed and it causes replies to go directly to you instead of the mailing list.
Also, there is no need to send html to this list. Text is all you need.

Avi

--
Avi Schwartz
http://public.xdi.org/=avi.schwartz

When you have robbed a man of everything, he is no longer in your power. He is
free again.

-- Alexander Solzhenitsyn