On Wednesday 26 January 2005 17:38, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Is it straightforward to connect a Linux computer to a MS Windows
> network, allowing this Linux computer to have access to shared disks
> and printers on the MS Windows? If so, where to get information how to
> do that?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul
>
> PS: Since I am a GMail user, please be sure that you reply to the list.

Yes
Using your Mandrake Control Centre Software Installer install the packages
samba-common
samba-server
samba-client
smb
ksambaplugin

From Menu>System>Configuration>ConfigureyourDesktop

Select Network>SambaConfiguration
Select Admin mode
Set the workgroup name to match your Windows network.

Open Internet>FileTransfer>Smb4k
You should be able to browse your Windows network and mount folders which you
will then see with konqueror.

Windows users should also be able to see your computer and print on your
printer, but will not be able to read any files yet.

Run
System>Configuration>Configureyour Computer>Hardware>Printers

Run through the printer wizard. It should find the Windows printers and you
will then be able to print to them.

To allow Windows users to read files on your computer go back to the KDE Samba
setup and add users. Users must have the same user name in Linux and Windows.
The password you define is the **windows** password for that user.
Users will then be able to see their home directories on the Linux computer on
Windows explorer.

(Note:- If you are running a firewall on your Linux computer you must open
ports 137,138, and 139 to the local network. )

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org