On Friday 28 January 2005 06:20 am, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I had a couple of questions about XFree86 and was hoping that someone could
> answer them.
>
> -What is happening?
> -Are they still open source?
> -Is it that they are not dealing with major distibutions anymore?
All I know is that it is the distributions that are not dealing with them, as
opposed to the other way around. XFree86 changed it's licence to be a little
more restrictive, and the GNU / open source advocates didn't like it. I'm
sure if you visit their website, you can view the licence.

Xorg is being maintained by former XFree programmers and then some, who were
unhappy with the progress and direction of XFree. Many features such as
windows transparency and DRI were actually coded, but couldn't get included
in the main project for some reason. Since all that code was waiting in the
wings, Xorg is going in leaps and bounds.

Regards,

Jarlath