On Tuesday 01 February 2005 23:17, Lanman wrote:
> Hey Folks. I'm wondering if someone can walk me through a few issues
> regarding booting systems using PXE? Having sorted out my Mandrake menu
> concerns it works but I still need to test it a few times), I'm now
> looking at how I can boot new PC's to start the installation process.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Yep
I've been through that recently. What do you want to know?
Its not too bad once you realise what is happening.

First your PXE remote computer asks for an IP address from a DHCP server.
The DHCP server passes the name of the 'next server' back with the IP address
together with the name of an initial boot file.
The PXE device then asks for the initial boot file from a tftp server on the
'next server'.

Having got the boot file the PXE device starts booting itself. It then asks
the tftp server for a compressed kernel/init file. Having received that it
asks for a DHCP address again and then boots the kernel it has received and
runs the init file.

If you want to run a terminal server, then drakTermServ  works out all the PXE
stuff for you. It works really well.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net