Greg wrote:
Hi Everyone I have a HP Pravilian ZE 1230 laptop that is shuting
down after it runs for awhile

I have found out it is overheating

I beleive the cooling fan inside has quit working

Is it possible to change the fan and is it  hard to change the fans

I have built many desktop computers but never been inside a laptop

Is there anything I should know

I am sorry to post here but I know and trust everyone on this list

Thanks  Greg

Greg; I have the HP Pavilion ZD7000 and even with a P4 CPU it runs hot sometimes. However, AMD CPU's are notorious for running even hotter that Intel P4's.

Your problem could simply be that the temp shutdown settings are too low. Try changing the settings in your BIOS - you can access it when booting the laptop. You should see a notice on the screen which tells you which key to press for BIOS access.

Have a look at anything related to CPU Temp, Thermal Shutdown or CPU fan monitoring to see if there's a setting you can adjust. Be careful though! Turning off or changing the settings might cause the system to overheat and cause permanent damage!

If you need to replace the cooling fan(s), you will have to order the correct fans from HP, assuming that they'll even ship them to you at all.

HTH.

Lanman
Registered Linux User #190712