Ronald J. Hall wrote:
On Saturday 12 February 2005 09:31 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike Adolf wrote:

On Saturday 12 February 2005 01:34 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike Adolf wrote:

After I did as you suggested, messages contained:
------------
Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: hdd: No disk in drive
Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: hdd: 98304kB, 96/64/32 CHS, 4096 kBps, 512
sector size, 2941 rpm
-------------
Also if I run configure tool from harddrake it lists:

Misc
New devfs device: â/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part4

Old device file: â/dev/hdd4

Model: âZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy

Disk controller:
---------------------
Mike

Ok - now we are making progress. If you put "ide-floppy" in "/etc/modprobe.preload", then you should alway get /dev/hdd4 created on boot. Now you should be able to create your desktop shortcut. You should also check to see if a mount point is created for it in /mnt when you put in a ZIP disk. If it is not automounted, then as a workaround, you could try doing this:

mkdir /mnt/ZIP

edit /etc/fs and add this line: (all one line, even thoug it is wrapped
here!)

none /mnt/ZIP supermount
dev=/dev/hdd4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

This should automount any ZIP disk on /mnt/ZIP. It will work with both
ext2 and fat formatted disks, as long as they use partition 4. It will
also show up as an icon on the KDE desktop, but it will show always
mounted. That is something I need to figure out how to change...

Mikkel

It now works! After editing modprobe.preload with ide-floppy, I rebooted. When I tried to copy a file to the zip, it failed. I looked in fstab and the system had placed the exact line you listed above. There is no hdd4 in dev, only hdd. So in desperation I changed fstab to /dev/hdd and rebooted with the disk in the drive. During boot, it polled the device (green light). It never did that before. I then opened it and successfully copied a file. Something still seems bogus. I guess I can make a Twiki entry, but I am not sure the solution is necessarily the correct one.

Thanks for all you help.
Mike

This is strange. /dev/hdd should be the entire ZIP disk, including the partition table. /dev/hdd4 should be the partition with the data on it. Unless the ide-floppy driver is doing something different in 2.6.x, so that the ZIP data partition becomes /dev/hdd instead of /dev/hdd4.

Did the disk you used have other files on it? Are you able to access
files on other ZIP disks? If you boot without a disk in the drive, does
it detect when you put in a disk? Does it detect when you change the ZIP
disk?

In any case, I would hold off on the Twiki entry for a while - it sounds
like a bug report may be in order here. If the entry in /etc/fstab is
being created for you, but is the wrong one, then that has to be fixed.
One other small point - you do not have to reboot for changes in
/etc/fstab to take affect. The file is read as needed. Hotplug adds
entries "on the fly" when you plug in USB storage devices...

Mikkel

Anytime I use a zip drive here (internal, IDE), I've always had to put that "4" there. It accesses the entire Zip cart.

No /dev/hdd would be the entire drive. /dev/hdd4 would be the 4th partition on it. But the 4th partition on the ZIP drive normally is the entire free space on the drive. It is a small difference, but it is an important one. I expected the same thing here.

Are you running 10.1 Official with the latest updates? Does the system automaticly detect when you change cartridge in the drive? Or are you manually mounting/unmounting the drive?

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!