Hello Greg,

Saturday, February 12, 2005, 9:01:55 PM, Greg wrote:

GM> On Saturday 12 February 2005 05:31 pm, rikona wrote:
>> I'm trying to get some sound up on a box recently updated to 10.1.
>> Using Amarok to play an mp3 file results in severely distorted
>> sound, but xmms and Audacity seem to do OK. If I try to use another
>> 'engine' in Amarok it crashes. Tried adjusting levels everywhere,
>> but can't get good sound in Amarok. Any way to get rid of the
>> distortion in Amarok?
>>
GM> Okay, this is much clearer.  the arts engine in amarok is quite
GM> buggy and unsupported

I can believe that. :-) Is that the default, or does it just look
around to find what's available? It would be nice to have another
engine, that works, come along with Amarok during install.

GM> Try the gstreamer packages from eslrahc or the xine from plf.
GM> Make sure you also have all the xine or gstreamer plugins
GM> installed for all the media types you are trying to play.

I'll try those. Thanks for the heads-up. Actually, the pressure is off
a bit since I now have xmms installed and working well. It is nice.

>> Addendum - the sound level from Amarok is quite a bit lower than
>> the other apps, even with kmix at the max.

GM> Make sure the equalizer is not on, it will reduce sound volume by
GM> about 10db. or if it is, just boost the levels.

Thanks for the tip, and the help.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]