I'm considering getting an AMD64 laptop. I understand that it is backwards
compatible with 32 bit.But  if I install only 32 bit applications via urpmi,
will I even benefit from a 64 bit processor?

I have decided not to go for pentium-M  / centrino as I will not be very
mobile. This is primarily a desktop replacement.

I am aware of the extra memory possibilites of 64 bit, but I'm just wondering
if there is any point in getting this technology when the software at the
moment is still geared towards 32 bit?

Thanks,

Jarlath