Dennis Myers wrote:
On Friday 18 February 2005 05:05 am, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

I'm looking for an external USB hard drive with > 80 GB and Mandrake
compatible.  The MDK hardware list seems a little outdated and not
very informative.  And I know to avoid Western Digital ones.

Recommendations ?

TIA

Kaj Haulrich.

Kaj, I have an Acomdata external that works well. Only thing is I have to remount it every time I boot up the comp. Have not figured out why it does not mount automatically. Anyway I see in harddrake that it has a Samsung harddrive. Mine is a 120gig. I would think that any of the usb externals should work at the plug in. HTH

If you have more then one partition on a USB hard drive, then drakupdate_fstab doesn't mount it. It isn't "smart" enough to figure out what partitions are extended, and what partitons are data partitions, so if it sees more then one, it plays it safe and bails out. (drakupdate_fstab is called by hotplug when it gets a USB storage device, to handle mounting it.)

I am working on a way to handle this using udev, and I have it working using udev, and supermount entries in fstab, but there are still a couple of problems with it. My supermount entries automaticly show up on the KDE desktop, and they always show that they are mounted. They are there even if the drive isn't plugged in. I think I have a way around it, but I have more work to do on it...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!