On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:36:12 -0500, Miark wrote:

> Despite a lot of Googling, and I cannot figure out how to
> install and play the original Quake. The documentation I found
> at QuakeForge, DrakPlaces, and other sites is... useless

Okay, I figured it out:

1) Install cvs if it's not already:
   urpmi cvs

2) Make a directory for darkplaces, and cd into it.

3) Login to the darkplaces cvs server:
   cvs -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvs/cvsroot/twilight login

4) Download the darkplaces files:
   cvs -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvs/cvsroot/twilight checkout .

5) cd into the darkplaces directory and 'make' darkplaces:
   make cl-profile

6) Make a subdirectory called id1:
   mkdir id1

7) Copy the .pak files into that directory, such as the ones that
   come with the original CD.

8) To play, type ./darkplaces-glx in the darkplaces directory.

This might be a good thing to add to the twiki, but I hate that thing.
Anybody willing to add this?

Mike