Marcus Davage wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm trying to convert a friend, who's built his own PC, from XP to Linux. So
far, his experience with installing Mandrake 10.0 (the only version I had to
lend him) has been good, except that he says he can't connect to the internet.
He has an NTL cable modem. I've never had a problem downloading support for my
ISA linmodem, but he's not a techie, and I've never used cable modems before.
I'm trying hard to prevent him from crossing over to the dark side, but he
thinks he needs XP to access the net. I thought the Mandrake installation
wizard detected modems like that, but I doesn't think it has.

Can anyone who has experience please suggest some questions/solutions I can
ask/recommend to him?

Thanks very much.

Marcus

I had no problem connecting using an NTL modem - been using it since 8.2. Your friend might find it easier (assuming his modem is like mine) if he connects to it via an ethernet cable rather than USB, as the modem has facilities for both.

When I have installed subsequent versions of Mandrake, the modem has been picked up automatically with no problems whatsoever.

--
Graham Watkins

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.