On Wednesday 09 March 2005 13:28, Christopher Taylor wrote:
> I had to re-install Mandrake 10.1 due to some stupidity on my parrt.
> Before I did I backed up my home folder onto CD.  After re-installing,
> I installed firefox and thunderbird with urpmi.  I also restored the
> home folder from the CD.  I saw immediately that the firefox was an
> older rev tried to use the version of firefox in my home folder (from
> the CD backup).  It worked fine, until I tried to save bookmarks.  The
> bookmarks stayed in the list until I shutdown firefox.  I tried
> uninstalling both the older copy via the control panel and deleting
> the folder that had my backup copy.  I then installed 1.0 via the
> installer.  STill the same problem.  I did find out that if I logged
> in to a root console and started firefox that way the bookmarks
> persisted.  It was only starting from my account.  I was able to solve
> the problem by removing the folders, in a root night commander console
> deleted the mozilla in my root folder and my account folder, the
> downloading 1.0.1 and installing to a folder  in my home.  Now I can
> save bookmarks.
>
> Tonight, I am going to try and go through the same procedure with
> Thunderbird which does not save my accounts.

Take a look at the ownership of the files you have restored from the CD.

Files contain attributes to determine their ownership and permissions. The
ownership attribute is the UID:GID numbers (user and group IDs)  If you added
your users in a different sequence when you did the reinstall you will have a
different UID from last time and you will not 'own' the files you backed up
from CD.

You will have to be root user to change the ownerships

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org