On Thursday 17 March 2005 21:28, Michel Leunen wrote:
> H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> > apparently your problem isn't solved yet...
>
> No. I've tried to do another update hoping it will repair kde but with
> no luck. I think I'll have to reinstall it, I'm afraid.

Well you could try a new (kde)install after removing everything that's
associated...but that'll be a fine mess, prolly.
I gathered that KDE3.4 was out today and could be installed in the /home
directory (or maybe /opt) so as not to interfere with previous versions.

Maybe worth a look, eh?

> > so let's take a few tests:
>
> Ok, let's go!
>
> > After booting up into xfce4, open a terminal and try to start konqueror
> > from there.....copy (select with left mouse button and paste with middle
> > button) the error messages and mail 'em to us.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] michel]$ konqueror
> konqueror: relocation error: /usr/lib/libkonq.so.4: undefined symbol:
> _ZN9KIconView21contentsDragMoveEventEP14QDragMoveEvent

Frankly, I'm not in the clear what this means other than the obvious
"undefined event":(
There's a version incompatibility somewhere there, prolly.

> > On top of that start a new session by doing <CTRL>, <ALT>, <F2>
> > simultaneously and then logging as you (or any other user you like) at
> > the prompt. Then at the same prompt:
> > "startx -- :1"  without the quotes and watch the space between "--" and
> > ":1".
> >
> > That should open up a second X(kde)session on <CTRL>,<ALT>,<F8>....check
> > <CTRL>,<ALT>,<F7> to go back to check your running xfce4 session if you
> > care;)
> >
> > And go back to the original <CTRL>,<ALT>,<F2> to see the error messages
> > it produces in respect to kde.
>
> Here is what appears and there is no error message it seems:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] michel]$ startx -- :1
>
> Release Date: 18 December 2003
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.4-1.tmb.5mdk i686 [ELF]
> Current Operating System: Linux LinuxPC 2.6.3-7mdk #1 Wed Mar 17
> 15:56:42 CET 2004 i686
> Build Date: 05 November 2004
>          Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
>          to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>          (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>          (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Thu Mar 17 21:21:41 2005
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
>
> Using vt 8
>
> (II) Initializing extension GL
>
> SetClientVersion: 0 8

Looks OK to me i.e. normal start-up procedure.....and I gather KDE is still
botching up on F8.

> That's all. Nothing more except some newlines. It doesn't tell me much,
> quite cryptic for me.
>
> Thanks for your help.

No prob...too bad this is happening...and prolly quite maddening too, for you.
This upgrade stuff is what tore me away from kde to xfce, almost like windows
isn't it?:(

--
Good luck,
HarM