I'd try running xf86config from the command line.  ie.. when it boots up
to the login screen go "Crtl+Alt+F2" to get to a console login screen.
Then run xf86config(as root).
You'll need to know the horizontal and vertical ranges for your monitor,
your video card type and ram amount.  It'll ask you about your keyboard
and mouse first though. I'd choose PS/2 unless there is one that matches
your mouse exactely.  It'll also ask you about the resolutions.  When
doing your resolution configuration make sure your card can push the
resolutions you enter, ie.. on my 4meg S3virge, i enter the following..
for 32 bpp 3 2
for 24 bpp 4 3 2
for 16 bpp 5 4 3 2
for 8 bpp the same.

Note the first number you type will be the defualt resolution.
after you do this, i'd edit the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file and add the
bpp color you want for your Xsession.  This is what i added for mine
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 16

then simply logout go "crtl+alt+F7" to get back to your gui login screen
and restart your X server.

Hope this helps,

bob from cincy