On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> > Secondly, would some nice programmer make a script to _autoinstall_ the
> > updated kernel, ie: step thru _ALL_ the make, make mod, etc so that given a
> > set install DIR, that once the new kernel is located there in uncompressed
> > format, that a simple _UPDATE_ or _INSTALL_ would complete the entire task
> > along with options for a backup version for safety sake and rebbot to the NEW
> > or optionally old kernel????
>
> I think your going to have to re-explain that, as it went right over my
> head, am i to understand you'd like tobe able to drop a kernel and modules
> into a dir run a script and have the script handle placement and lilo?
> Seems redundant to me.

Well, it would be nice to be able to type one command and
have it compile the kernel, copy it to the /boot
directory, add it to the lilo.conf and re-run lilo for you.
I can see that. You'd still have to configure the kernel to
choose the options you wanted, but once you're done with
that, I can see how it would be nice to run ONE script, say
"kernelcompiler," and then double-check that the new kernel
had been added to the lilo.conf and reboot.
        John