On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> How can I upgrade Linux Mandrake via ftp?

Do you currently have a RedHat or Mandrake installation? If
so, you should be able to do an upgrade. If not, you'll
need to do a full install via ftp.
The first thing you need to do is download a network boot
image (bootnet.img) from somewhere (sorry, I don't know
where...) and then make a boot floppy from that. If you
already have some form of Linux installed you can use the
linux command "dd." The syntax is as follows -- dd
if=bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0. Be prepared with a known-good
floppy that you can use to make a boot floppy with. Note
that anything on that floppy will be destroyed, so it's
better to use a brand new, blank floppy.
Once you've made the boot floppy, you will need to stick it
in the floppy drive, reboot your computer and just hit
"enter" at the first prompt. Then, select "ftp install" at
the next menu. You'll need to know some info about the site
you're going to use to do an ftp install, such as the site
name and the EXACT directory structure to the install
files. This will work best if you have an existing
linux/unix machine you can use to mirror the linux files on
your local network.
If you do not have a dedicated connection (cable, adsl, etc)
or "ethernet-based" isdn connection, it may be difficult to
use an ftp upgrade.
        John