John Aldrich wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> > >
> > >     I put  ' alias rdate="rdate -sp time.nist.gov" ' in 'bashrc'.
> > > All I have to do is type 'rdate' and the time and date are set
> > > correctly.
> > >
> > Tom:
> > You might also want to add "hwclock --systohc" to that
> > alias so that you sync your HARDWARE clock to the software
> > one as well. :-) I do it in two steps, since I'm too lazy
> > to make that alias myself... :-) 'Course, you probably need
> > to make the "rdate" and "hwclock" executeable files run
> > SUID, so you don't have to constantly SU to root. :-)
> >       John
> >
> I know it's bad form to reply to your own messages, but I
> thought I'd point out the results of an experiment I did. I
> su'ed to root, went into /sbin and ran "chmod +s hwclock."
> Then, I exited SU status and tried to synch the hardware
> clock with the software clock and got a message that only
> root can modify the hardware clock. So, I guess that's one
> program that just won't run SUID. :-)
>         John

John and Tom,
Thanks very much - I'm about to try it.  Not sure I have understood it
completely, but I have an interpreter I'll be seeing this week to
correct any problems.  Thanks, John, for spotting the deliberate error
with /dev/floppy for /dev/fd0(which of course I had to use.)
Thanks again.
--
Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street NOOSAVILLE QLD 4566 AUSTRALIA
Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mobile: 0419 535539  Fax: Phone first.