Dear Alan:

Thanks so very much for taking out the time to check this for me.

It may be that Backup works differently in StarOffice than, e.g. in WP8
or in MSWord. That's what may be confusing me (and maybe others). I
would very much like to have this clarified, close this issue and get
back to work.

Here is what QUE's huge 1,500 page Special Edition Using Linux has to
say about Backup (the caps for emphasis is mine)

"If you prefer to keep a backup copy of your documents and files, you
should select the Always Create Backup copy check box. EVERY TIME YOU
SAVE A NEW VERSION OF AN OPEN DOCUMENT, STAROFFICE AUTOMATICALLY SAVES
THE PREVIOUS VERSION WITH A .bak FILE EXTENSION in the backup folder of
the StarOffice."

Then it goes on to add that you can change the directory (or create a
new directory) for your backups.

Your description of backup matches my own:
First, of course, I make sure I checked the "Always create backup file"
under Options, General, Save.

I type a few lines, click on Save, which brings up the usual Save
dialogue asking you for a name. I name the document foo.sdw, then close
it. I then add a few more words or lines, click on Save. When I look in
my backup folder (in my home directory), I do find foo.bak. No question
about it. I bring it up and see that it saved the original text. But it
won't show any additional text that I may have typed since I first named
the document until and unless I click on Save AS and click on foo.sdw
again or unless I close the document first (after adding the extra
lines) and then click on Save (with the file name showing). I then do
see the additional text in foo.bak.

So, my conclusion is that backup in SO may be meant for different
versions as Que says and can still be used for the same file if you use
Save As and do not change the name.

In other words, if you want to keep a running, uptodate backup of your
file in SO, you apparently need to use Save As rather than Save. I hope
I am right. In WP8 and in MSWord you click on Save and it automatically
updates not only your original file but also your backup.

Well, that's as far as my understanding of this goes. I wonder if I am
right about this.

Thanks so much, everyone.

Benjamin

--