On Tue, 07 Dec 1999, you wrote:

> SO! I try kppp!
> I put all the information as I have seen in message to a couple
> different people and let 'er rip. kppp dials, handshakes and it even
> says Connecting to Network. Then the little connect window minimizes
> itself on the desktop. Bingo. I think I have a connection... but now no
> program will load, whether invoked by desktop icon or through the KMenu.
> I was confused... then I hear my modem disconnect in the background, and
> mysteriously my programs will open now. WHAT AM I DOING???

I don't use KPPP since at work, I have a direct ethernet
connection to the internet and at home I've got an
ethernet-based ISDN router. However, I remembered reading
about a checkbox in KPPP which says "auto-configure
hostname from this IP." Do NOT check that. That will likely
cause at least some of the problems you're reporting, such
as the other programs not opening and such.
        John