On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Jeff Shaw wrote:
 | the mandrake readme says that thare was going to be a version of mandrake
 | 6.1 that would work on 486 computers.  Where can I find this?
 |
 | Thanks,
 | jeff

Hrmmm... I am using Mandrake 6.1 with kernel 2.2.13-7mdk on a 486-style AMD
X5-133Mhz powered system. It is not exactly a i486 system, but it's close. The
only thing I had to do to use Mandrake was to edit the rpmrc file so rpm would
allow me to install updates and new rpm packages:

FYI: the file is at /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc

        and you edit the appropriate lines to look as the following:

arch_compat: i486: i386 i586
arch_compat:  osfmach3_i486: i386 osfmach3_i586
buildarch_compat: i486: i386 i586

when you see the rpmrc file, what to edit becomes obvious when armed with this
information above.

Mandrake with the KDE desktop does run a little slow on my old beast, but I am
a patent man, and I think the trade off between convenience (I'm lazy!) and
speed is well worth the slight amount of extra load up time.

Mandrake may be optimized for the pentium machines, and if you are not using
one, you will not be able to take advantage of the optimizations, but you
should still be able to use Mandrake on the 486 machines. It will simply run a
little slower that on the pentiums.

Hope something in here has value,

Ernie
____