I get that same error and I HAVE SMP. So far I only see it happening with
the 2.2.13-22 kernel. I'm going to try to go back to the old kernel and try
again..

-----Original Message-----
From: phins13 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 4:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Kernel compilation problems.

Rick Schnicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have installed the source and header RPMs so I
>can recompile the kernel to satisfy the error I get when
>I try to configure VMWARE.
>
>I run xconfig and set everything up (correctly I hope).
>I do a 'make dep' then 'make clean' then 'make bzImage'.
>
>I get this error:
>
>In file included from ksyms.c:17:
>/usr/src/linux/include/linux/kernel_stat.h:44: `smp_num_cpus'
>undeclared (first use in this function)
>/usr/src/linux/include/linux/kernel_stat.h:44: (Each undeclared
>identifier is reported only once
>/usr/src/linux/include/linux/kernel_stat.h:44: for each function it
>appears in.)
>make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.13/kernel'
>make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.13/kernel'
>make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2
>
>From what I can see it has something to do with SMP settings.
>I have SMP set to 'no'.
>
>So just for giggles I set it to 'yes' and tried again then
>got this error:
>
>init/main.o: In function `check_fpu':
>init/main.o(.text.init+0x25): undefined reference to
>`__buggy_fxsr_alignment'
>make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>

>I can't get past this point.  I have tried reinstalling the RPMs
>and starting from scratch with no luck.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Rick

I'm not 100% sure, but skip make clean. I do:
make xconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install

This seems to work for me. I think the "make clean" command is only if you
want to recompile your kernel again a different way or from scratch or
something like that...
Anyways, I hope this helps.
Good Luck.
SA