Hi Gerry
Exactly the same thing happened to me. The magazine states that this
is a 'cut-down' distribution
to fit on the CD and I guess that something was left out.  I bought a
'Cheap-Bytes'
Mandrake 6.1 CD and the installation on the same PC went without a
problem.
 Did you try to install it from Windows incidentally according to the
pictures?
But it makes no difference if you boot from DOS and run
\DOSUTILS\AUTOBOOT
from the cdrom.
Regards,
Ron