> I downloaded 2.0.6-19991110 and used kpackage to install it. Then I looked
at
> the tab File List in kpackage for the installed samba and everything has a
> green check mark except two files - /etc/lmhosts and /etc/smb.conf.
> This can't be okay, so what do I do about this? When I did the install I
> checked the boxes Upgrade, Replace Files, Replace Packages, and Check
> Dependencies.
> BTW - samba support is built into the kernel, I have had samba running
just
> fine for almost a year, until I upgraded to 2.0.6, when I received the
errors
> mentioned in the message above.
>
>  --
> Chip Wiegand

The binary RPM just won't cut it. You have to build the RPM yourself.
You need the SOURCE code, i.e. samba-2.0.6-19991110.src.rpm.
There are four files in this rpm file. The important one, samba-2.0.6.tar.gz
will be unpacked to /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES. Unzip samba-2.0.6.tar.gz
into /usr/src. As root run makerpms.sh from
/usr/src/samba-2.0.6/packaging/RedHat. This will build
samba-2.0.6-1999110.i386.rpm and put it in
/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i386. Use rpm or kpackage to install this RPM.
I'm going by memory on all of this so I hope all the directory locations
are  correct.  If not, you can use find to locate the files.

Stephen F Brazelton