On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Meditalika wrote:

> I have Realtek 8029 and 8139. I know my irq and io. What more I need to
> know?

For starters in order to use the 8029 you need to select the ne2k.o or
ne2k-pci.o drivers, and the 8139 should come up using rtl8139.o, I have
one of each in my Mandrake 6.1 gateway (was a 6.0) with the 8029 as my dsl
gateway and I've had no trouble, in my case the 8029 is eth0 (my adsl
connection to bellsouth.net) and the 8139 is eth1 (my lan).

As for hardware information, the only thing you may have left out is the
base i/o address. Note that unless you are tied into a true 10/100 switch,
it would be inadvisable to attempt to run the 8139 at 100mbit full duplex!
I have found it to be unreliable on a standard 10/100 autosensing hub,
there is a big difference between an autosensing hub and a switch.

We run a mix of Linux Mandrake, Windows2000 Server (RC3), Debian Linux,
and Windows98 and will soon be adding a netware 5 server for
interoperability testing.

Regards,

 David Hollyfield, Chief Technical Officer
 Undergrid Network Services, LLC.
 www.undergrid.net