On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> If you want to go cheap and PCI I suggest a S3 Virge DX/GX for
> about $19 to $39 dollars depending on where you get them.  I use
> them with Linux all the time and they always work fine with SVGA
> server.   Also use S3 Virge MX in my Laptop running RH.
> I am sure you can make that Sis card work however.  I am not the
> one to provide the answer but I know it has been done.
> Jeanette

S3 Virge DX/GX has had some problems with some
implementations. I've got one of those implementations with
the problem. Basically the problem (which *should* be fixed
in the updated X server -- I just am too lazy to get the
latest version <G>) is that if you go into X, and then exit
back to the console, your display is screwed up royally and
all you can do is reboot or restart X. As I said, according
to Xfree86.org people, it's fixed in a newer implementation
of the XF86_SVGA which includes better support for the
Virge GX/DX.
I personally think that if you want an inexpensive
ACCELERATED card, go for a RIVA TNT card. Not the TNT2,
just the standard TNT, assuming you have an AGP-slot
motherboard. :-)
        John